Final reflection on Clinical Correlations

The Clinician Correlation was overall very effective in bringing all the information I have gathered over the past year and a half. I believe this was a very healthy environment to practice the skills of collecting effective and pertinent history from the patient. I personally struggle to create a working list of differential diagnoses and clinical correlation has helped to progress effectively even though I still struggle with it. Clinical correlation was a training session to work through the puzzle of patient history and come up with a ddx and treatment plan.  I really like the case about TB patients who had an AV malformation, which was causing bleeding in the lungs. This was a challenging case to look outside of the box because initially, it seemed like the hemoptysis was caused by TB while it was due to AV malformation. This case reminded me not to get stuck with one DDX and access other possible causes of the presentation. I improved on my presentation skill as I learned to present the information in a coherent effective way, but I still get nervous in presenting the information which I will continue to work. I have learned to collect information from well-known sources to support my opinion and answer the question in a logical and effective manner. Furthermore, I learned a lot from my classmates as they coherently and effectively presented the information which was easy to understand and pay attention to the details.

1. What problems did you encounter while you were completing the work for this class?

I personally did not encounter any big problem but sometimes I struggle to find the treatment plan for a patient for a specific disease because it is easy to find general information but specific to the patient requires some digging.  For example, a medicine dose depends on multiple factors and most of the time I could not find an algorithm that provided dose for a specific group of patients. However, I am aware that as I practice I will learn about the dose and maintained therapy for the patient.

2. What resources did you find most helpful – which ones will you use going forward in the clinical year?

I found Up-to-date most helpful because it presents the information in a coherent, logical and concise manner. Additionally, it has the reference cited within the text which helps me to explore a specific portion in detail. I also utilized PubMed which I think I will continue to use for the clinical rotation year for the PICO assignment

3. What have you learned about yourself through this class?

I learned from this class that I am not confident enough to share my knowledge because I caught myself holding back information that I did not feel confident to share with the group. However, by the time I was in the last group I tried to share more often because I realized I have to overcome this problem.

4. Do you think your approach has been different from others’ – if so, is that desireable/undesireable?  Why?

During the presentation at the beginning of the class, I like engaging the class with questions because I find that an effective way to keep the audience engaged. Also, I believe the question will help them to retain the information. I think some of my classmates employed this method which was overall effective.

5. What have you seen in your classmates’ performance that you want to adopt in your own practice?

Some of my classmates created powerpoint presentation which I thought was pretty efficient in presenting information also it provided a visual for the audience. Also, some of my classmates had good note-taking templet which adapted from the beginning of this semester for clinical correlation notes.

6. What changes might you suggest for this class going forward?

I would enjoy if the instructor communicate among themselves about the cases that they are thinking of presenting in the course so we get exposed to various cases rather than repetition. I could like trauma, surgery, and more office visit cases because I  feel like I did not get enough exposure to these types of cases.

7. What would you advise the students in the class behind you about this course?

This is a fun course and judgment-free space to practice all the skills you have acquired through Pa school. Furthermore, just enjoy the class and practice before going out for the clinical rotation.