W1-Peds- Assignment#3: Reflection

Write up what is most interesting and most beneficial regarding Online Clinical Correlation. Provide Constructive criticism to how the session could be improved?  

I really enjoyed the online clinical correlation because as a group we got to solve complex cases. I thoroughly enjoyed the cases and presentations because it was unique, which forced me to think outside of the box as it is a challenging case to connect a patient coming with a puffy eye and being diagnosed with ALL. I believe in the 5 weeks pediatric rotation, the chance of coming across this type of case is rare but the online session allowed me to become part of the thinking process and the treatment plan. Also, in a rotation, it must be hard to follow a patient for multiple visits, but these online sessions allowed me to follow a patient for years. Additionally, I really appreciate the way I got to practice “how to break the bad news” to a five year old and the family. Breaking bad news is difficult and especially to a child makes it more challenging. So, I really appreciate that professor Maida gave my group a chance to practice breaking bad news in an effective and efficient manner.

There is nothing I want to change regarding the presentation, cases, or facilitating methods because it was a very effective way to teach and present an interesting case. However, the hands-on experience could have enhanced my learning further, but these one-week sessions were good alternatives. I like the way our facilitator stimulated thinking based on patient history and instructed us to formulate working ddx. All the laboratory and imaging tests were based on the working ddx and the results helped to rule in or rule out a diagnosis and provide the appropriate treatment to the patient. Overall, this was a great experience and I am looking forward to learning more in the future online clinical correlation sessions.